Thursday, October 15, 2009

Brand new citizens

On Oct. 8, Okech was one of 40 people who took the Canadian citizenship oath at the Ismaili Centre on Canada Way in Burnaby.

Okech, originally from Kenya, lives in New Westminster, and it was a great coincidence that the ceremony was the same day as her birthday.

I can't ever forget this day," said Okech, who is studying to become a social worker. "This day already means so much to me, but for it to also be the day I officially became a Canadian, it is a great day for me."



While citizenship ceremonies take place on a weekly basis in city halls all over the country, the Vancouver Citizenship Committee and the Institute for Canadian Citizenship, which organized the event, have taken the ceremony into the community, at places such as the Ismaili Centre.



"It is such an honour to have this ceremony in such a peaceful community place," said citizenship judge Anne-Marie Kains. "We have to thank the Ismaili community for sharing this with us."



As citizenship officer Andrea Ebbels prepared the 40 new Canadians for their oath, she noted that the 40 people come from 22 different countries, proof that Canada's multicultural mosaic is alive and well.



For Okech, whose husband and three children are already Canadian citizens, her new citizenship is a bit overwhelming.



"I don't think it will really hit me until later," she said. "I know that this means that once I finish school, it will be easier for me to find a job in my field, and I know that being a Canadian means I have more responsibility, but it's all so new right now."



As excited as Okech was, perhaps the happiest people at the Ismaili Centre were the Korolev family. Father Alexander, mother Anzhilika and son Petr all took their citizenship oaths together.



"We've been living in the North Burnaby area for the past four years after moving from Moscow," said Alexander. "We chose Canada because it was our number 1 choice. ... We could have chosen France, Great Britain, Italy, Spain or almost anywhere in Europe, but we knew Canada was a safe and nice place, and that's where we wanted to be."



Alexander, an engineer, and Anzhilika, who works in a travel agency, wanted a better future for their 14-year-old son, Petr, who is currently in Grade 9 at Burnaby North after finishing his elementary school years at Brentwood Park.



"It's a bit of a mix of emotions for me," said Petr. "I do miss my friends back home, but I am excited for the future now that I'm a Canadian."



For Alexander, the day will always have meaning.



"This day represents the boundary between the past and the future," he said. "From this day on, we will see ourselves as Canadians in all aspects, without limitations and without any doubt that this was the right decision. ... From this boundary, we can build a new life and starting from now, our future is so bright."



For Anzhilika, being Canadian will make her job easier.



"When you work in the travel business and you don't have a passport, it is more difficult," she said. "Now that I have my passport, it will help me in my job."



http://www2.canada.com/burnabynow/news/story.html?id=2bcff765-b165-40c4-8e31-16a91d406981

ismailinews@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment